Monday, December 6, 2010

Hunting Whitetail... As a social event.

Technically, I've been a hunter for over 25 years. Many of the years, the truth is that I haven't hunted at all. Some years I've spent over 30 days in the field and taken several animals. I'd say that I've probably made time to go hunting at least 75% of those years  (and I think I've taken game almost every year that I've tried, though certainly not on very trip!)... But I'm not so passionate about it that I actually plan my calendar around the seasons in various states... For me, the best thing about hunting is the social event!

A hunting trip in '06 with Family and Friends in AL.
When I accept an invitation to hunt with someone (not in general, but really set a date), you can be sure that the schedule is going to be set. Hunting with friends and family is really one of the greatest ways to spend time with good people that I know of. It can combine cooperation, challenge, food, drink, wagering, hardship, celebration, disappointment, frustration and unique experiences all in one day and night.

I was thinking about the fact that I have hardly ever gone hunting alone and I think it is pretty significant. As a kid, I would wander around in the woods and shoot small game or occasionally be out with a 12 gauge saying that I was "Deer Hunting", but really having no idea what I was doing. The best I ever did was spend many hours following deer tracks one snowy day only to jump the deer from the spot it had bedded down and then miss it with a load of buckshot!

Turkey called in by a buddy in '09.
Hunting for me is definitely a social event and I really do look forward to that aspect of it as much as anything else.

As I wrote about last week, I spent some time hunting over Thanksgiving and it was fun. Then I drove down to Eastern Ohio and stayed with a friend and his family at his home. The "cabin", an amazing log home was comfortable and situated right in the heart of some great hunting woods. I got into town late Sunday evening, we had a few drinks and got to sleep. Opening morning came and three of us walked from the house along three trails to some blinds situated around the hillside (mine was about 500 yards from the cabin, there was one close and one further). At around 9:30, a group of deer came into view moving quick and breathing hard. Two minutes later, the largest doe I think I've ever shot was lying on the ground. I have heard some great things about midwestern deer, and the day was definitely delivering. (of course, this is another reason that Hunting is a Social Event for me.. I'd beer deerless if my buddy hadn't put me the right place!).


Midwestern Whitetails are a bit bigger than Jersey Deer... this doe will will yield about 100 lbs of venison!
Thanks Much to Scott for hosting an excellent couple of days of hunting.
Five hours later, a really nice 6.5 Point Buck (broken tine on the left side...) was dead on the ground 225 yards from my stand (after about a 100 yard run from where I shot him). Having friends with access to great hunting land and the willingness to share their wealth is a great thing. He even let me borrow a muzzled loader for the afternoon hunt! Probably so I didn't start gloating too much, he took a deer himself that afternoon as well. That night we gathered back at the cabin and were joined by several other friends and my Scott's family for a great meal.

But, the best thing about hunting as a social event is sharing the experiences with someone that is new to it. The second morning of the season our hunting party was joined by another friend and by the time the sun as fully visible over the horizon she had her first deer, a great spike buck, on the ground.  The last member of our group to shoot also took his first deer of the season later that morning, making us five deer for four successful shooters in a day and half of hunting... not too shabby! And, to complete the experience, we dined on the freshest organic-est meat I've had in a long time... less than 12 hours from field to fork.

If you're a hunter, I hope you value the time with your friends in the field and around the campfire or dinner table as much as you like the quiet of the woods and the taking of game. If you are not a hunter, you should seriously consider tagging along on a hunting trip (if you can find a hunting friend who really likes to spend time with you) ... even if you never go out in the field or carry a weapon, you'll probably have a great vacation.
Good Friends and a Great Hunt!

-RJP

Lodging:

White's Pine Lodge

Food:

Fresh Venison Backstraps, harvested that day.



No comments:

Post a Comment