Tuesday, November 2, 2010

America's High Speed Business Train.

I hate to sound like the cliche' jaded American who raves about traveling in Europe on a train and laments the lack of rail infrastructure here in the US.... but it is a cliche' for a reason. Rail travel in Europe generally kicks ass. (Except for the night I got stuck at a train station in Chomutov). Granted, I've never bothered to travel by rail in the US outside of subways and the Disney Monorail... so, it was about time I tried it. This week offered the perfect opportunity. I was in South Jersey, needed to get to NYC and I'm flying out from LGA on Sunday. Options: 


1. Get someone to drive me. 
2. Leave my car at LGA for at least 12 days before I could get back.
3. Flight from AC.
4. Bus.
5. Try out that new Acela High Speed Train that "the new" Amtrak has been pushing. 






Option 5 pretty much blew everything else away. Even if the train sucked, it would be the best story for the shortest time investment (remember what I said yesterday about collecting stories ??).


So, here's the marketing on the Acela:

Acela Express is Amtrak's high speed train operating in its Northeast Corridor from Washington, DC to Boston via New York City.  The 20 Acela Express trainsets were manufactured by a Bombardier Alstom consortium for 800 million dollars. Each trainset has two power cars, four business class cars, a cafe/bristo car, and a first class car. The Acela Express is the fastest train in North America. It reached speeds of over 160 MPH during testing, and reaches speeds of up to 150 MPH on several sections of track between New Haven and Boston. The trainsets also have a tilt system, modeled after a technology used on some other high speed trains. This system allows the cars to tilt slightly (up to 4.2 degrees) while traveling on curves, providing a smooth ride at faster speeds.


In my opinion, Rail travel is generally cool for trips of 1-4 hours. Longer than that, and I hope its a sleeper, shorter than that and a ride with a friend might be less hassle. Having hopped around Europe on trains a fair bit since 2006, I think I generally have the hang of it. Big Luggage is awkward (it all goes in the cars and aisles with you) and if you don't have a reserved seat you might have a lot of changing on a train with lots of stops. Furthermore,  given the relatively low upcharge (not at all like airlines), the upgrade is usually worth the price in comfort and convenience. The company is usually better also. Seriously.


Enough Juice for the entire Mobile Office!
So, how did the Acela rate up against the ICE and TGV trains of Europe. It was very much the same. Not much difference at all in fact, except for the one VERY COOL difference of a conveniently placed two outlet 120 volt AC adapter right at my very comfortable (Business Class) seat. Okay... there was a downside: two jackasses in seats near me wanted to conduct business meetings by phone during the 1.5 hr trip... and they seemed to be trying to out-loud each other. There is a "quiet" car which doesn't allow cell use, but it wasn't worth moving by the time I really got to the incredulously annoyed level.


I'll travel this way whenever I get the chance on the east coast.


Meanwhile, I arrived in NYC and went for a bit of a walk. I'm staying at the UN Plaza and I "needed" to make a trip to B&H Photo... so I made the trek from Midtown East down to the area of Madison Square Garden to hit one of my favorite stores on the planet to pick up a Vertical Battery Grip for the Canon 7D. Expect Good Pics this week. (And, I got my fitness in for the day!)






The view from my hotel room is spectacular... more on the lodging as the week goes on. I'm off to have a great steak.


-RJP


Today's Travel:
Amtrak Acela High Speed Rail from Philly to Manhattan.

No comments:

Post a Comment