Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Great Steak & One of The Best Bars in the World.

There is no doubt that being in New York City gives me an opportunity to eat well. While I have my favorite spots, I do like to go out on a limb sometimes and try something new. Of course, it's not hard to find plenty of highly recommended restaurants in Manhattan... especially when it comes to steak houses, so trying something new doesn't really require going too far out on that proverbial limb.

I've probably had world class steaks in the city in a dozen places over the years. My favorites are Keen's, Gallagher's and the Ruth's Chris on 53rd (consistently the best in a chain of consistently great steakhouses).

I don't know when I first heard about Ben & Jacksbut when I saw that it was about a block from my hotel, I knew that I would have to try it. I'm glad I did. Ben & Jacks is a small place on 44th Street. The service was great and the steak was outstanding.

I've got another favorite steakhouse in NYC.

Afterwards, I jumped in a cab and went up to Bemelman's at The Carlyle Hotel. Bemelman's has to be one of the best bars in the world. It is not the best bar for Irish Car Bombs (O'sheas), it is not the best bar for a Windex (Protocrat 007), and it probably isn't the best bar to catch up with a good friend over a Coors Light (seriously, almost any bar will do for that...), but if you are looking for a dark, old wood & leather type place to enjoy a rocks glass full of whiskey while listening to great jazz, then Bemelman's wins. I stumbled into this classic upper east side bar when I was staying at a hotel in that part of town many years ago and I always make it a point to stop in when I'm back in Manhattan. Mind the dress code and don't worry about the price of the drinks. It is a cool spot. Try to go when Loston Harris is playing, seriously amazing music.

Today was a work day and tonight I'm out with a friend. Spending several days in town gives me a chance to check in at my favorite spots, go exploring and get some tips from the locals on where to go... that's tonights agenda.

-RJP

Restaurant:
Ben & Jacks on 44th Street between 2nd & 3rd.


After Dinner Bar:
Bemelman's at The Carlyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment