Thursday, November 4, 2010

Some Old, Some New

As I mentioned yesterday, one of the great things about being in New York for several days is the opportunity to visit some of my favorite spots as well as having time to explore some new places. During this trip in particular, I am also spending time with people who know the city very well as well as people who have never been here before. This opens up the chance to learn a little more about a city that I am just a frequent visitor and also act like I own the place and show off the city that I almost decided to live in.

Last night, a friend who has lived in four of the five boroughs and spent most of his life in the greater NYC area took me to two outstanding spots. One was new to both of is, The Press Lounge at Ink48. The bar was nice and, as even my camera phone pic from last night showed, the view was AWESOME. A great rooftop bar that is probably better in July than it was in last nights chill... I'll go back. The next spot was one that he has frequented for lunch and dinner and which I would probably not have found on my own.

With the exception of a short trip to Lyon over a long Easter weekend a few years ago (which did include an actual fight inside a roman ampitheater, thank you Ross... and lots of car bombs, thank you Guiness.), I've never been a huge fan of "French Cuisine"... but last night I had a great meal at Marseille. We walked from Ink48 over to 9th, made a right and within a block decided we were ready to eat.... luckily this spot with great service and a creative menu was on his list of "places your should try." I had duck and it was really good. Conveniently, there was a great bar across the street from the place called The Irish Rogue, where we grabbed a beverage and got the French-ness off of us.

Tonight, I get to be in charge as I'm heading out with friends who are new to Manhattan... First my favorite NYC sushi spot (Sushi Zen) and then.... we'll see...



Both the Empire State Building & the Chrysler Building
can be seen from West Facing Rooms... these pics are from
the 39th Floor of the Millenium UN Plaza.
Tonight is also my last night at the Millenium UN Plaza... it has been a great hotel with an INCREDIBLE view. Tomorrow, I head downtown.


-RJP


Hotel:
Millenium UN Plaza


Restaurants:
Marseille on 9th Avenue


Bars:
Press Lounge at Ink48
The Irish Rogue



No comments:

Post a Comment